Friday, September 6, 2013

My quilting group, Sterling Stitchers has "adopted" a family of five. The father lost his job and the family lived in the forest for a period of time. There are three children, two girls and a boy ages 5,6, & 7. At present the father has a job making minimum wage and they have been able to rent a small run-down house. The children share a bedroom. Their furnishings are sparse and until recently the children were sleeping on baby bed mattresses that the father had found on the curb.

Our group has been able to provide beds for the children and recently supplied their back to school needs. The group has been very generous and we all feel fortunate to be able to help this family. My friend, Marilyn and I have made quilts for their beds.

I made a Strawberry Shortcake quilt for the youngest girl and a Spiderman quilt for the boy. Another friend used my scraps and made adorable pillowcases to match the quilts. Unfortunately, I only have pictures of the quilts I made but here they are:



 
 
 
 
 As many of you know I have always loved to sew and do crafts of all kinds. Since retiring quilting has become my passion. I love being able to choose fabrics and put them together to make a beautiful quilt, wall hanging, table runner, placemat.... There is rarely a day that I do not spend at least an hour or two in my sewing room designing, cutting, sewing. I find it relaxing and rewarding. Truly in my world at this time "a day without quilting is a day without sunshine"! Happy quilting.
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Such lovely quilts, Sandy! And such a beautiful story of love that Sterling Stitchers is sharing with a family in need. What a blessing you are to others. Very well done!

    ReplyDelete